Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Summer of Patience

I like to name events in my life. 2004 was "The Year of Pure and Endless Joy", my trip to Bear Lake two years ago was suppose to be the "Bring on the Freckles Trip" (double meaning to that one, ha!!) but ended up being the "Trip from *%$& !!". Those aren't even the best event names. I will be honest with you, I can't remember 90% of them. But this summer has been officially deemed my "Summer of Patience".
I despise winter with every fiber of my being. I loath being cold. Okay, maybe that is a bit over the top. I do love Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. I enjoy stew, apple cider (oh man do I love hot apple cider...mmmmm), candy canes (oh man how I love candy canes....mmmm), and other holiday treats. But honestly I really don't find much joy in January, February, March, and sometimes April because I live in Utah and April is unpredictable. Well, besides Valentines Day that is. I have never had a Valentine and yet I still adore that holiday. Anyways, I have a built in sensor for beautiful days. One of my favorite things in the whole world is to wake up to a beautiful day. The kind of day that you can open all the windows and just let your house breathe after all those stuffy cold winter months. You may still have snow, but it is melting and you can feel the sun. I wake up so incredibly happy. I get cold easy, but on that day I refuse to bundle up. Those kind of days make me want to do laundry and breathe in clean. *sigh*
I LOVE SUMMER!! I love all the fruit and vegetables. I love the homemade ice cream. I love the barbeques. I love the cottage cheese. (I feel weird eating cottage cheese in the winter. Almost like I am cheating on summer when I do.) I love fireworks, I love fireworks more than any one person should. I love going up the canyon and roasting Starburst. I love the summer Blockbusters. I love flip-flops!! I love ponytails. I love going to the Gateway Mall in the summer. I love the 4th of July. (Especially when I was little and Sister Gillette would make all the primary children sing God Bless the USA, the version with the fancy beginning, at Chapel Park that morning after they raised the flag before we all ate breakfast. My favorite was when it says "and I gladly STAND UP NEXT TO YOU" and we would all stand up when we sang that. I was very dramatic.) I love love love the 24th of July, it is my favorite holiday. Well, more like the 23rd. That is when Bountiful has their most of the festivities. The parade is killer, literally and figuratively. I don't care if it is a million degrees, it is amazing. Then there is the carnival at the park by the rec center. SO fun! But my favorite of all is the fireworks. They are like 5 blocks from my house at Mueller Park Jr. High. I have a spot staked out every year. They seriously last FOREVER! I love when you can feel them in your chest. AHHH! I love to go to Bear Lake and just chill. I love boating. I love sunburns. (Obviously not when I have them, and yet I love it.) I love looking tan and not having to wear makeup. I love tan lines. I love chillin with my family. I love love love to sit on my back porch by myself in a blanket and look at the stars. When I was little I loved to go school clothes shopping and going to the elementary to look at the list that told you who's class you were going to be in and then comparing with my friends. I used to love park hopping with the Ericksons. I love popsicles. I love Pace's and the Rainbows there. I love Nielsen's and the Concretes there. I loved walking to Artic Circle when I was little and then going to Grandma and Grandpa Child's and Grandpa giving us a ride in his truck home, even though we went like 15 miles per hour. I LOVE summer with every fiber of my being.
But I have never once in my life wanted fall to come so badly. I have reached a point in my life where all I do is work, and at a job that is slowly but surely losing it's appeal. All my friends are either married, live in a different city, or are doing something thrilling and different for the summer. I am bored as all heck. I miss my family. I want to be 22. I actually want to go to school. (Mostly because I want to get done faster, and it keeps me busy.) I live with little messy girls that I can't handle. AND I finally think I might now what I want and it is gone for the summer.....twice!! I have waited and waited and waited and just when I think that it might work, summer came and took it away from me. Why summer, why? We have always had a good relationship. Why now?
What makes it all so annoying is that I know that if I wait, I will be rewarded.
Freakin Summer of Patience.....

2 comments:

Jonesy said...

I'm there with you my friend. I love the imagery of your writing. Amazing!! (ps the video you posted isn't working...)

Emily said...

don't give up little camper...we're going to make it through this summer together...but seperately